RE: Costs of peer-review (Was: May issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter)

The notion that peer review is free or low cost is based on
misinformation.  In STM publishing, at least, editors are
normally paid a stipend or honorarium that can range from
thousands to tens of thousands of dollars (it can be even higher
for clinical journals).  In some cases, the editor's institution
gets the money, but it still has to be paid by the publisher.

Online manuscript submission and peer-review systems are not
cheap.  Editors, editorial boards, and reviewers expect more than
just getting a PDF via email.  They want to track turnaround
times, reviewer performance, and other statistics related to the
process.  Authors expect the ability to track submissions from
anywhere.  Online systems may be less expensive to run than
sending paper manuscripts back and forth and tracking them with
manual data entry, but the systems are far from low cost.

It takes paid staff to run the process, so you have to add their
salaries, rent, and overhead. Even if the work is done by the
editor's administrative assistant, the journal normally pays for
that person's time.

We publish four journals that have "volunteer" editors and
editorial boards.  It's a rather bare-bones operation with
minimal staff who handled 2,508 submissions in 2009.  Peer review
for those journals for 2009 cost about $700,000.

Richard Dodenhoff
Journals Director
American Society for Pharmacology
  & Experimental Therapeutics