Re: May issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

My understanding of why many publishers oppose FRPAA and the NIH
policy is that it mandates the uncompensated appropriation of the
peer review conducted by publishers. Given the retention of
rights involved in the agreements that researchers will be
required to sign, this does not have to raise any copyright
issues per se.  But it does mean that the federal government is
requiring publishers to pay the cost of peer review if they want
to continue publishing any articles funded by agency dollars.

Because this involves just Green OA, it remains to be seen
whether libraries, especially given the pressures on their
budgets today, will have sufficient incentive to continue
subscribing to high-priced STM journals they know they can access
for free after 6 months just for the benefit of the final
processing that publishers provide.

>From what I have learned over the past several years about how
little importance people, including even authors, seem to place
on copyediting, I'm not sanguine that this deal is going to work
out well for publishers.

In that event, it seems to me that publishers have three choices:

1)start charging fees to cover the cost of peer review and final
processing (in effect, becoming Gold OA publishers), 2)
accepting for publication only articles not funded by
government, or 3) investing their capital in some more promising
business.  Since FRPPA includes no provision for paying any such
fees, that burden will fall back upon authors and their
universities. Under scenarios 2 and 3, government-funded
research will then need to be peer reviewed in some other way
than by publishers. Who will provide that service?  FRPPA
requires peer review. If government starts to provide peer
review, then we are into uncertain territory, with potential
politicization of the process and variability in funding levels
from year to year. Professional societies are the logical
players here, but they are already suffering from financial
problems and are loath to raise membership fees much higher to
pay for added services.

FRPAA does not at the moment include the NEH, which funds most
research in the humanities--when government funding is available
at all. But as we all know, it funds only a minuscule portion of
humanities research.  If FRPAA is extended to the NEH eventually,
or if the Executive Branch decides to mandate open access for the
NEH via executive order, as Peter suggests it might do, I would
guess that most publishers of humanities journals will either
begin not to accept NEH-funded articles for review or else
require special fees for such articles to cover costs of
peer-reviewing them, in effect instituting hybrid Gold OA.

What does seem perfectly clear is that scholars are going to
continue needing their articles peer reviewed because only in
that way can they advance in their careers. If FRPPA does not pay
for peer review, and publishers decide not to consider articles
funded by government research, then some mechanism will still
need to be put in place to have peer review carried out. Has
anyone given much thought to how that will be accomplished if
scenarios 2 and 3 comes to pass?

Sandy Thatcher

P.S. Peter says that 60% of publishers now allow "postprints" to
be posted OA. Is that true? I thought "postprint" meant
peer-reviewed but not finally processed, but in this newsletter
he seems to be talking as though "postprints" meant the final
versions as published. I believe the 60% figure is accurate for
Green OA. I doubt it is accurate for final versions.