RE: Scientific literature access beyond licensing institutions

Hi Laval

I have recently done a little research related to these questions=20
that might shed some light on the topic - I published two=20
articles in which I studied a web site that (i) allowed for the=20
sharing of journal articles and (ii) allowed for the sharing of=20
institutional library database access codes (usernames and=20
passwords).

The demand for the articles and access codes was generated by=20
people who did not have that access.  These were usually=20
students/staff at institutions that did not have access to those=20
journals and databases (you need to remember that, even for many=20
students/staff at universities, their institutions may not be=20
able to afford the bundles of access, or they may come with=20
embargoes), or they were lay public affiliated to no institutions=20
at all.  Almost all the articles were from scientific / scholarly=20
journals.  The databases obviously access more than scientific /=20
scholarly journals, but I would imagine that that is their prime=20
usage.  Someone on the list may wish to comment on that.

The papers (the first one of which was discussed briefly on this=20
list before I joined it) are:

(i)  Masters, K.  2009.  Opening the non-open access medical=20
journals: Internet-based sharing of journal articles on a medical=20
web site.  The Internet Journal of Medical Informatics. 5 (1).=20
Tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/kmoajournals

Full URL:=20
http://www.ispub.com/journal/the_internet_journal_of_medical_informatics/vo=
lume_5_number_1_52/article_printable/opening-the-non-open-access-medical-jo=
urnals-internet-based-sharing-of-journal-articles-on-a-medical-web-site.htm=

(ii) Masters K.  2010.  Opening the closed-access medical=20
journals: Internet-based sharing of institutions=E2=80=99 access codes=20
on a medical web-site.  The Internet Journal of Medical=20
Informatics, 5 (2). Tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/kmaccesscodes=20
Full URL:=20
http://www.ispub.com/journal/the_internet_journal_of_medical_informatics/vo=
lume_5_number_2_51/article_printable/opening-the-closed-access-medical-jour=
nals-internet-based-sharing-of-institutions-access-codes-on-a-medical-web-s=
ite.html

Hope that helps
Regards
Ken

----

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman

---2071850956-534946466-1272668075=:17640--