RE: Library Roles Changing, Open Access Not Compelling

While there is no doubt that surveys are imperfect vehicles for
understanding behaviors and attitudes, our work at Ithaka S+R
suggests they can be of significant value.  It is undeniable that
when dealing with a group like faculty at 4-year institutions,
which is large and diverse and for which no reliable census
exists, sample bias and non-response bias will be at play, as
they are in any survey based on a sample.

Nonetheless, our view is that these can be managed through
methodology and through care when analyzing data and drawing
conclusions.  Moreover, we believe strongly that a well executed,
replicable study of a large group of faculty is far superior to
simply assuming that our views and judgments are universally (or
even widely) held or to relying only on far less rigorous,
non-representative techniques such as qualitative research.

So it is not surprising that we don't agree with Joe's assertions
that "people don't know what they think" and "we shouldn't ask
them."  At the same time, we acknowledge that people cannot
always evaluate specific new ideas or what they would be likely
to use.  The greater the difference between what is known and
understood and what is being proposed, the harder it is for most
people to project future interest and usage.  At the same time,
it is certainly true that people understand what is fundamentally
important to them, what they need and want, what they are
concerned about, and what problems they would like to solve.

The results for this survey are intended to provide inputs to
help libraries, publishers, societies, and others interested in
scholarly communications get further inputs about how these
faculty perceive and use electronic resources.  And having this
information, when added to other inputs they get and experience
they have, will help them develop more effective strategies to
respond to the changing landscape.  It is business/strategic
research, not academic research. It is NOT intended to be a
definitive statement on what is working or not working much less
on what will ultimately succeed or fail, either in general or for
specific issues such as open access.

It is with the above described understanding that faculty in this
study were asked how important a variety of factors are when
deciding where to publish their work.  That appears to be the
question at issue in this thread.  Specifically, faculty were
asked:  "When it comes to influencing your decisions about
journals in which to publish an article of yours, how important
to you is each of the following characteristics of an academic
journal?" When phrased like this, whether a journal was an open
access journal was less likely to be rated "very important" than
were a number of other items including:

1)"The current issues of the journal are circulated widely, and
are well read by scholars in your field" (86% rating very
important)

2)"The journal permits scholars to publish articles for free,
without paying page or article charges" (71%)

3)"Measures have been taken to ensure the protection and
safeguarding of the journal's content for the long term"(65%)

4)"The journal is highly selective; only a small percentage of
submitted articles are published"(53%)

5)"The journal is accessible to readers not only in developed
nations, but also in developing nations" (47%).

By comparison the proportion rating "The journal makes its
articles freely available on the Internet, so there is no cost to
purchase or read" very important was (40%), giving it a ranking
of 6 among the 6 items examined.  Moreover, the proportion rating
open access as very important does not appear to be growing; in
fact, a higher proportion rated open access "very important" in
2003 than in 2009.

I would guess that this does not surprise anyone.  These faculty,
like most people, seem to be motivated by the things that have
the greatest impact on them.  In this case they are most likely
interested in ensuring that their research is widely read by
scholars, that they will be recognized for doing great work, and
that this recognition will yield rewards for them in their
career.

In the context of the remarkably successful PLOS journals, these
data suggest that success has more to do with their audience,
their editorial boards, and the quality of the articles published
in these journals than it does whether the journal is open
access.  The way that this would be helpful to me if I were
starting an open access journal is that I would spend more of my
resources on the development of the editorial board and
communication about who ultimately serves on it than I would in
marketing the fact that this was an open access alternative.
This is just an example to illustrate how our research findings
might be used to help inform decisions or at least suggest
directions for further analysis.

This approach also applies to the survey results related to the
valued roles of the library and other topics.  I encourage
readers to take the results and evaluate them against your own
experience.  Evaluate them against data you collect from your own
important constituents. And mix them together to inform your
strategy.  Our objective in sharing these findings is to
contribute to the collective understanding of the challenging
issues facing all of us during this dynamic time.  We hope that
it will prove to be helpful.

Kevin