RE: Library Roles Changing, Open Access Not Compelling

Joe

I think you got it right when you posted at the same time as I
asked my question.  There is often a mis-match between what
people say they do in surveys and what they do in real life.  My
alarm bells ring when a survey posts a result that contradicts
actual behaviour.  I'm a little surprised that the alarm bells
didn't ring for the report's authors.  (I'm less surprised that
they were mute for Scholarly Kitchen as the survey results fit
well with the blog's anti-OA bias.)

But your second answer is way off the mark.  The idea that PLoS
One is not OA as recognised by members of the OA community is
just too odd to argue against.  It is.  And the idea that OA is
ill-defined is just as odd.  But actually, I needn't have used
PLoS One as an example.  I could have used any of the PLoS
journals, or BMC, or Hindawi, or Nucleic Acids Research, etc.
etc.  Or, as Michael points out, any number of subscription-based
journals that charge author fees.

David