Re: One Report, Two Findings: Library Roles Changing, Open Access Not Compelling

> . . . libraries are increasingly viewed as information
> purchasing agents inside academic institutions rather than
> intellectual partners.

With all due respect:  this has the look of no more than loose
self-serving cliche rhetoric and the mobilization of a quasi
straw man. I assume it was nonchalantly scribbled down without
much second thought.

After forty-seven years of intensive direct experience ( both on
the faculty/researcher and on the librarian side ) in many
academic libraries in numerous countries of North America and
Europe, I can without hesitation say that I have never
encountered an example of a faculty member or researcher viewing
the library as an "intellectual partner". The notion even has an
absurd ring to it. That such was a "fear among librarians", to
the [uncertain] extent that this is in fact true, says more (in a
negative sense) personally about librarians subject to such an
emotion, than about any meaningful aspect of our purpose, our
work or profession. If librarians and libraries are indeed
operating on the expectation (or the presumption or the hope)
that they are, or should or will ever be, considered intellectual
partners, then they've got their priorities pretty well messed up
and it should surprise no one that their future is anything but
bright.

I have good hope, nonetheless, that there are indeed still many
colleagues -- that there are *some*, I know for a fact -- who
have a more realistic sensitivity to the traditions and the
social psychology of the academic enterprise.

- Laval Hunsucker
Breukelen, Nederland