Re: Usage-based pricing (was ebooks in libraries a thorny problem)

Sandy Thatcher wrote:

While not quite the same thing, do not some libraries, or
university computer centers, limit the number of pages a student
may print out per month or semester or year? I've heard that
Brown University, among others, follows such a rationing
practice. Is this "madness"?

Comment:

Rationing printing does make sense.  There are hard costs
associated with printing / photocopying; more important than
budgetary concerns, however, is the environmental impact of
excessive printing.  Here, usage-based pricing serves a useful
purpose. Rationing printing does not mean that reading is
rationed.  People can read online, read print books, etc.

Eric Hellman wrote:

As I said, the trick is to control the budget. Consider this
variant. Suppose a library system put out a tender for ebook
supply totalling 1 million dollars per year. Publishers
participating in the tender would be paid a share of the $1M
based on usage of the books they supplied. Please ignore for the
moment the technical difficulties of measuring usage and consider
whether such a system would provide the correct economic
incentives. The publishers would have incentives to get their
stuff used. The library would get a fixed expense. No one would
have their usage rationed. I would also argue that many OA models
are usage-based pricing, where the "price" is advertising
exposure. Comment:

If a library system can pool a million dollars a year for ebooks,
why not provide local hosting and support for Open Monographs
Press (coming soon), and subsidize the editorial work so that the
books can be fully open access? If many library systems were to
do this (or commit to what they can afford), then all end up with
a substantial and ever-growing collection - and, importantly,
without the DRM (digital rights management) that currently limits
the usefulness of ebooks.

best, Heather Morrison
http://pages.cmns.sfu.ca/heather-morrison/