Publishers #1 short term problem

Re the recent emails by Sandy Thatcher and Alex Holzman, we are
clearly in a period of historical transition as also reflected in
my chapter 'E-books and scholarly communication futures' in
Woodward and Estelle's 'Digital Information' (London, Facet,
2010). Preprint at
(https://dspace-sub.anu.edu.au:8443/jspui/handle/10440/1024)
The chapter concludes

"Who will own, however, what we read and at what price,
particularly in the academic world? When I worked in the Bodleian
Library, Oxford, new readers had to read an introductory
statement which includes the words: 'I hereby undertake not
to...kindle therein any fire'. Back to Fahrenheit 451? The Amazon
Kindle reader and Google Book Search both bring many advantages
in terms of access to a variety of text and form, but we need at
the same time to continue kindling the flames of public access to
knowledge to ensure the digital era provides as many
opportunities for the freedom of expression as possible.

The challenge for twenty-first century scholarship, which
includes e- books, is to implement an infrastructure for the
digital world untrammelled by the historical legacies in the
frameworks and costings of print culture. In academic monograph
and textbook production, digital online access will become the
norm, more often than not supplemented by data and multimedia
additions. Print ,however, will not die, given the likely
explosion of cheap POD outlets. Readers will still be able to
judge a book by its POD cover.

E-book futures are still clearly evolving and cost and ease of
access will be crucial issues. A discernible trend is, however,
emerging with open access e-book environments. If e-outputs and
their impacts become embedded in promotion and tenure and
research assessment exercises, then more institutions will assume
responsibility for harvesting and providing global access to
their scholarship, scholarship that combines authority with
public accessibility. A suitable vision for the twenty first
century? 'Let those who are not old, - who are still young,
ponder this well' (Trollope, 1866)"

While texts will be born digital, many will be available through
increasingly ubiquitous and cheaper POD machines. It is Rrelevant
in this context that Melbourne University launched on April 8,
its Custom Book Centre, an initiative of the the Bookshop and the
University Library.
(http://www.bookshop.unimelb.edu.au/cbc/p?X.7)

Richard Charkin, the CEO of Bloomsbury (which includes Bloomsbury
Academic publishing) was recently in Australia and some of his
comments on e-books, copyright and distribution practices are
relevant to this thread. See

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/entertainment/good-books
-will-always-succeed/1782622.aspx

Issues in relation to siloed, territorial copyright are relevant.
Just as the former territorial divisions of the DVD market are
now rendered redundant by global DVD players, it makes no sense
to limit global access to text based on historical territorial
print copyright agreements. As Charkin says, many of Bloomsbury's
e-book sales were to "rural and remote areas, from Bolivia to
Timbuktu".

Colin Steele
Emeritus Fellow
Division of Information