Re: OA strategies

John,

the problem with "free backfiles" as on HighWire (and similar
policies by other publishers) is that the publisher may
reconsider and put the content back under toll access, as long as
content is not declared Open Access and being harvested in
parallel in e.g. PubMedCentral.

E.g., NPG did so with a full year of content when they took over
publication of EMBO Reports from OUP and changed the backfile
policy from "free after one year every January" to "free after 12
months".

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library

****