Re: publishers' #1 short-term problem

Sandy's good post is food for thought.  But while I am not able
to speak to general trade publishing, I'd argue that university
presses can and will make the switch to electronic first, backed
by print on demand by mostly following the Nike bromide: just do
it.

How do we just do it?  For now, most presses can't afford to
implement an XML workflow for technical reasons, but almost all
are producing web-ready PDFs as part of the production flow.
Digitizing backlists is a bit more difficult, but many presses
have taken advantage of various opportunities, sometimes working
on their own, sometimes with grant support, sometimes with their
library or other instutions to make a serious start on this.
Sandy's right that this involves balancing future and immediate
needs.  But almost all presses I know of are making progress at
their own pace.

Meanwhile, libraries, as soon-to-be-released research conducted
as part of a Mellon-funded university press ebooks consortium
project has shown, say they are anxious to start buying
monographs in electronic form and willing to accept PDFs, at
least for now.  This will allow better monitoring of usage,
better use of space and perhaps access to a broader range of
materials.  So that's where we start--by selling ebooks in PDF
format to libraries, and with pricing models that can perhaps
open up more of the library market than we've been selling to in
recent years.  For a generation, libraries have been a shrinking
market for university press monographs; done right, ebooks may
actually open up opportunities to reverse that shrinkage.

Fromselling ebooks to libraries, I'd hope university presses
would then use them to change the distribution system for
textbooks and ancillary coursebooks.  The print distribution
system has frankly been a mess for a generation, creating vicious
revision cycles, mounds of pulped books that are returned, and
economic inefficiencies borne mostly by students.  Especially as
we do crack the XML issue and can move to epub--and many talented
software engineers are working on the problem--the opportunities
to redistribute costs will allow all sorts of interesting models
and experiments to flourish.  It's a climate of great
uncertainty, but one I feel is equally of great opportunity. And
will save a lot of trees.

So I guess my glass is half-full, maybe even more than half full.
But this is one university press publisher who would prefer that
you save your prayers for folks who need them more than we do.

Instead, what I would ask of the library community is an open
mind and a willingness to accept that sometimes low cost can
actually be better than the open access ideal of no cost.
And/or that if end users pay nothing, then the costs of
disseminating scholarship, which are real and will never go away,
will then have to be borne by some combination of universities
and their libraries, the government, and authors. Together,
university presses and the university community can do great
things.  If we fight each other, we will all fail.  My
twenty-first century version of Lincoln's house divided speech.

Alex Holzman
Director
Temple University Press
Phone: 215-926-2145