Re: OA strategies

Ann,

I hope I've understood your question correctly about open
backfiles.

There are 261 journals at HighWire where a recent or extended
backfile is available for free as I think you describe below. For
these journals, the current content would be subscription-based,
and the recent back content (e.g., a year or more old) is open.
(Other sites are completely open, and others have free trial
periods running.)

For 152 of these 261 journals -- the far-back content (e.g.,
scanned issues from 1995 and earlier) is open; and for the
remaining 99 journals -- they require an "archive"
subscription.

So, for example, "Journal A" may have its most recent year
subscription based e.g, April 2009-April 2010, its content from
January 1995-March 2010 may be open, and its content from volume
1 through 1994 may require an archive subscription.

While for "Journal B", its most recent year might be subscription
based (e.g., April 2009-April 2010), and its content from volume
1 through March 2009 might be open.

These rules vary by journal (HighWire does not set these
policies, the journals do).  The rules are captured in a table
that is used by the providers of OpenURL resolvers
http://highwire.stanford.edu/librarians/AtoZList.xls and in
visual form http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

John Sack
Director, Highwire Press

--On Friday, April 02, 2010 19:45 -0400 "Okerson, Ann"