Re: Implications of the Georgia State e-reserves case

To which I replied as follows:

I'm afraid Ms. Fister doesn't understand what is going on here. She
doesn't understand (1) that GSU's previous policy was way out on one
extreme, regarded as such even by Kenneth Crews, who was called to be
an expert witness for GSU AFTER it changed the policy. She doesn't
understand (2) that several other universities including Cornell,
Syracuse, and Marquette have reached an agreement with publishers
about e-reserve policies that will NOT render them useless. She
doesn't understand (3) that GSU's being a free rider on the system
means that EVERY OTHER university that plays by the rules pays more
because GSU pays nothing. And she doesn't understand (4) that the
blanket license offered by the CCC costs LESS than the salary of an
assistant football coach at most Div. 1 schools. I invite her to read
my article about the GSU case in the current issue of Against the
Grain.

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
Executive Editor for Social Sciences and Humanities

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)