Re: copyright fraud? Works of the U.S. Government

Although the constituent items may be in the public domain there
may be copyright ownership in the compilation, assuming the
publisher has undertaken intellectual and physical effort to
bring the parts together and possibly overlaid some additional
functionality (searching, etc.).

This means that although you may reuse any of the constituent
parts freely, to reuse the entire collection as presented by the
publisher requires permission.

This scenario should not be a surprise since many of you will
subscribe to abstract databases when you could get to each of
those abstracts freely via the publisher sites.

(I have not read the specific copyright or T&C in question, but
only the email discussions)

Pippa

*****
Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
3 Park Lane, Appleton, Oxon OX13 5JT, UK
email: pippa.smart@gmail.com
Web: www.pspconsulting.org
****
Editor of the ALPSP-Alert, Reviews editor of Learned Publishing
****
Editor of Scholarly Communications Report (www.screport.info)