Selling books on a direct basis

I just posted a piece at the Scholarly Kitchen on the
direct-marketing of books:

http://j.mp/dwXHPm

I got interested in this topic several years ago when I saw that
it was becoming harder and harder for publishers to get
distribution in bookstores; and now that the marketplace is
moving online, the venues for publishers, especially academic
publishers whose "long tail" books sell disproportionately
online, are becoming very tough on margins.

I would be interested in hearing offline from anyone who has some
experience in the direct marketing of books.  How big can this
get, I wonder?

Joe Esposito