RE: Does free lead to paid?

Penn State's pricing strategy is somewhat different. The
economics of recovering first-copy costs require that POD prices
remain comparable to what the prices were when books were
regularly printed. However, pricing for e-books through Kindle
and other such devices is done at bargain-basement levels, on the
theory that this market is not competitive with the normal market
for academic books but is entirely supplementary. This is
explained well by Tony Sanfilippo on the Press's blog here:

http://psupress.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html

Sandy Thatcher