RE: Does free lead to paid?

Sandy Thatcher wrote:

I'm with you 100%. We just have to figure out a business model to
make publishing scholarly monographs OA economically feasible. A
number of publishers are now experimenting.

Comment:

This is very welcome news, and I wish all the best to Romance
Studies and all the other publishers with such experiments.
>From my perspective, libraries should get involved in supporting
these efforts.  If it makes sense for us to pool funds to
purchase subscriptions, it will make even more sense in the long
run to pool funds to produce books that are then available to
all.

Here is a thought:  local print-on-demand centres able to offer
rapid printing and delivery or pick-up at trade-book prices.  I
think I have heard of an experiment at a university bookstore
along these lines, although I can't remember where it was.  This
may not work for all books, e.g. art books, but it would for
most.

Trade-book pricing for print should be doable for academic works
with ubiquitous open access distribution.  It strikes me as
rather obvious that this would be a very great deal more
efficient than marketing (and mailing) a couple hundred copies
around the globe for sales. This would also be much faster
distribution, and better for the environment than shipping books
around.

This system would easily lend itself to equitable pricing, as the
actual printing and mailing, wherever you are, would be paid for
in the local currency at local rates.  If publishers were to
charge royalties adjusted for local GDP, this could be a truly
equitable system.

Of course, this requires a widespread system of print-on-demand
book printing operations.  Could existing printing outfits
reconfigure to work in this manner?  Currently, we are printing
books in London and shipping them to San Francisco for sale, and
vice versa, are we not? Surely, we can do better?

As a teacher, I would be more likely to order books if I could be
certain that the library would receive them, and at the speed
that I am thinking of.

As a student, I love the ready availability of e-books, but make
it easy and reasonably cheap for me to order print, and my
personal print collection would definitely grow.

As an author, I am confident that an approach like this would be
optimum for both dissemination of my book, well-deserved revenue
for my publisher, and royalties for me, too.

best,

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com