Upcoming ALCTS webinars

With apologies for cross-posting, here is a message regarding
upcoming ALCTS webinars.

==========

ALCTS announces four new webinars on Institutional Repositories

Wednesday March 24, 2010 - Making the Most of your Descriptive
Metadata: Planning, Tranforming, and Re-using, presented by
Marisa Ramirez and Nancy Fallgren*

*This webinar was prepared by Nancy Fallgren in her private
capacity.  The views expressed do not represent the view of or
endorsement by the United States Government or the National
Library of Medicine.

Metadata is essential for organizing, searching, and managing
information resources, particularly as libraries expand their
efforts in making their collections available on the web.
Libraries are populating institutional repositories with a myriad
of resources, including digitized special collections materials,
finding aids, electronic theses, peer-reviewed faculty work and
other research, scholarship and creative outputs.  But what are
libraries doing about the descriptive metadata that allows users
to search, find, and select these resources in their
repositories?  What redundancies are created when libraries
engage in collecting, enhancing, or redistributing metadata in
siloed systems?  Can redundant metadata generation efforts be
streamlined?  We will discuss some current descriptive metadata
practices in institutional repositories, identify areas where
redundant efforts may occur, and discuss strategies to improve
management, collection, and re-use of descriptive metadata.

The webinar requires a basic understanding of metadata and XML.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 - Selecting an IR Platform: Options,
Approaches and Implications, presented by Bob Gerrity

This webinar will explore the basics of determining the "right"
IR platform for your institution. It will cover issues such as
the benefits and drawbacks of open-source vs. commercial
platforms and hosted vs. local installations, determining what
level of local technical expertise is required for a successful
IR implementation, understanding functional requirements, etc.
The webinar is not intended to provide detailed information about
any specific IR platform, but rather to provide useful context
for evaluating and selecting a platform that will work.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - The consortial-campus view:
Reinventing the IR from all directions, presented by Sharon Farb,
Bonnie Tijerina, and Catherine Mitchell

The California Digital Library supports the 10 University of
California campuses' institutional repository and campus
publishing efforts through the development and central hosting of
eScholarship.  This presentation will give an overview of a
centralized model and the scholarly publishing initiatives taking
place at the University of California. The director of the
Publishing Group at the CDL will begin the conversation with an
overview of the publishing and dissemination services available
through eScholarship and the outreach and marketing campaign
recently launched in conjunction with the UC campuses.  An
eScholarship Liaison from UCLA will discuss the role of campus
librarians in this model and highlight successful faculty and
graduate student publications which transitioned from print to
online journals.  The presentation will conclude with a library
administrator's perspective on new roles for academic libraries
and how this works fits in the mission of the institution.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - Perpetual Beta: Early Literature about
Institutional Repositories and What Assessment Can Tell Us Now,
presented by Allison Sivak and Leah Vanderjagt

As we develop new technologies for managing, accessing, and
preserving information materials, libraries concurrently develop
our theories and predictions for how those new technologies will
affect our operations, services, and patrons; these predictions
create a framework within which we designate our workflows and
measures of success. But to what extent do we consider whether
these early assumptions are viable or realistic? How do we
understand methods of assessment for institutional repositories
(IRs) when we are in a state of perpetual beta? Leah and Allison
will discuss their findings from a review of the early literature
and strategic documents and corresponding/related current
statements on IR success, showing the changes between theory and
practice, with implications for planning and assessment.

+++++++++

ALCTS thanks Berkeley Electronic Press for the generous support
of this series of webinars.

All webinars begin at 2pm Eastern, 1pm Central, noon Mountain and
11am Pacific time and run approximately one hour.

Please note that all webinars are recorded, so if it is not
possible to participate in the webinar during the broadcast, all
registrants will receive instructions on accessing the recording
of the session.

For additional details about each webinar, please visit:
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/index.cfm

To register, complete the online registration form located at:

Webinar Fees for Institutional Repositories Series

INDIVIDUALS (one person watching from 1 access point)
ALCTS members:  $39 each; $99 any 3; $159 any 5; $219 any 7
Nonmembers: $49 each; $129 any 3; $209 any 5;  $289 any 7

GROUP RATE (a group of people watching webinar together from 1 access point)
Members and nonmembers: $99 each; $269 any 3; $439 any 5; $609 any 7

*The one-time fee includes unlimited access to the webinar recording and
materials.

Questions
For questions about registration, contact Tom Ferren, ALA Senior
Registration Coordinator at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 4293 or tferren@ala.org.

Cindy Hepfer
Head, Electronic Periodicals Management &
                   Continuing Resources Cataloging
Central Technical Services
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Buffalo, NY 14260-2210