Re: Does free lead to paid?

Heather Morrison wrote :

> For academic books, the purpose for writing, very similar to
> articles, is to disseminate new knowledge.

Oh dear.

And there I was all this time thinking that the prime operative
purpose was of quite a more enlightened nature -- having to do
with career advancement, job security, peer recognition,
self-satisfaction and fulfillment, perhaps secondarily with
furthering the scholarly debate.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, or simply too naive.

I hardly dare get into the question of whether knowledge -- a
dynamic cognitive state, if I'm not mistaken -- is something that
is subject to dissemination, or of what it might mean for it to
be old or new or somewhere in between.

- Laval Hunsucker
   Breukelen, Nederland