Re: Georgia State University electronic course reserves copyright case nearing resolution?

What would you think of a university that acted as follows:

1)adopted an extreme policy that was way more radical than
anything else in place at other universities, based on a pet
theory of a law professor at another school in the same state
system whose views were not widely shared among fellow experts;

2)when sued, dropped that policy entirely (because evidently the
state's attorney general considered it to be indefensible in
court);

3)substituted in its place a policy that superficially resembles
the policies adopted by many other universities;

4)hired an "expert" to prepare reports to submit to the court who
had written the policies at some other universities from which
the new policy was copied;

5)proceeded to do very little beyond announcing the new policy's
existence to help faculty understand and apply it carefully;

6)mandated a procedure for implementing the new policy that was
completely mechanical in nature and contrary to the spirit of
the law it was meant to comply with;

7)petitioned the court, on sovereign immunity grounds, to
quarantine all evidence from past bad behavior under the old
policy from consideration by the court in determining the
outcome of the suit;

8)limited the evidence admissible to just the behavior over a
short span of three semesters, claiming that the new behavior
revealed much more compliance with the law (without owning up
to the fact that courses are rarely repeated every semester at
most universities);

9)left the faculty bearing the entire responsibility for
interpreting the law and entire liability for misapplying it;
and

10)provided no funding at all to assist faculty in paying the
costs of adopting materials for class use.

This is a basic summary of the way Georgia State University has
acted in this case. However good a job its legal team may have
done to avoid having GSU pay any penalty for past bad behavior or
allowing the university to be held liable for present
irresponsibility in carrying out the new policy, I submit that
GSU's example is reprehensible morally in the extreme and
represents a combination of hubris, stupidity, and faulty
management that no other university should emulate.

Since the LJ story cites Kevin Smith's blog, please go to it and
read my response:

http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/2010/03/09/summary-judgment-in-the-gsu-case/.

Also, readers interested in this case may want to read my article
on it in the current (February) issue of Against the Grain where
I take on Ken Crews's reports preparing in support of GSU.

Sandy Thatcher