RE: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

I very much agree with Sandy's message below, but it is
tangential to our discussion. It is a helpful message,
nonetheless, because it reminds us that many social and
institutional have a sense of optimal behaviour that does not
coincide with optimal economic behaviour. It is this tyranny of
the economic paradigm that I find objectionable in the context of
scholarly publishing. This does not mean not opaying attention to
finances, but it means not being a hostage to various forms of
economic modelling (that turn out not to be so good after all)
and market fundamentalism.
jcg