RE: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

>Are the established brands continuing to produce the kind of
>work that made the brands valuable in the first place?  If the
>answer is no, there is trouble ahead (for them).

OA was largely a response to the failure of commercial publishers
to provide adequate support for scholarly communications. By
adopting predatory pricing tactics, commercial publishers changed
the environment of scholarly communications, so that fewer and
fewer publishers consumed larger and larger shares of the
resources, meaning that less and less funds (proportionally) were
available for smaller publishers or new ventures.  By looking
ahead, some bright eyed scholars realized that eventually these
publishers would bring the whole system down, since it was
clearly unsustainable.  Scholarly submissions would continue
growing (and the pace has been increasing), but journal
publications would not keep pace.  If commercial publishers were
responsible for adding titles to handle the extra need, the
problem would grow worse more quickly, since those titles would
also be priced (or back-loaded) unfairly.

Here comes OA to save the day:  How do we provide an alternative,
or at least a yardstick* by which to judge these predatory
publishers and slowly replace them as they grow less and less
cost-effective**?  How do we provide support systems for society
and small publisher titles as they are forced under by commercial
predators?  How do we add titles to handle the extra demand?
You guessed it -- and OA has been doing it.

OA publishers have been delivering the same peer reviewed product
as the established brands.  In some cases, such as those society
publishers who move to University or Library OA publishers for
shelter, the product is almost the same (though underlying
systems will be more efficient).  OA journals do not suffer any
disadvantage in quality of product or impact. They simply cost
much less and provide new opportunities to both students and
faculty, as well as create new collaboration and innovation
opportunities for universities and libraries, the benefits of
which we keep seeing and talking about.  The literature is
literally littered with evidence, so this deny, deny, deny bit is
just too tobacco industry for me.

Let's get this part of the silliness over.  Was the OA movement
created on a lark or out of some malevolent plot to "disrupt
traditional publishing"? Seriously, that's what you think?

... although, come to think of it, it's true that since OA
operates on a different model than probably all commercial
publishers and since it is more efficient (revolutionarily
innovative?), it will eventually force commercial publishers to
reform (if they have a culture that allows them to adapt -- I'm
pessimistic), so in that sense, yes, OA is disruptive ... and
thank goodness.

-Nat

*... and so the two intertwined threads, where we look at the
evidence of OA cost-effectiveness, while wondering how commercial
publishers can make the same processes so much more expensive.

**...since price continues to go up, but value offered remains
largely steady or even erodes year by year.