From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 6:26 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

At 6:50 PM -0500 2/26/10, Nat Gustafson-Sundell wrote:

>an unpaid editor runs the peer review process (runs the software
>distributing articles to peer reviewers, scheduling, reminding,
>receiving responses, responding to author)

Just such use of a faculty member's time involves an "opportunity
cost" for the university that hired the professor primarily to do
research and teach. The more time spent doing these clerical
types of work means less time spent on doing what the professor
was hired to do. That was Colin Day's principal point about
economic efficiency.

Sandy Thatcher