Re: Journal publishing costs

There's no doubt that journal publishing can be done far more
cheaply than any 'official' costs might suggest, even without
hiding costs off balance sheet.

That publishing can be done more cheaply is of itself no argument
for OA. What contributes to scholarly communication is keeping
things going for years and years and years, until a journal
constitutes a useful corpus of knowledge. Anyone can start a
journal, but will they have the energy, the enthusiasm, the
dedication to keep going for say 15 years, when there's no
financial reward, no recognition, repeated let-downs from
'funders', uphill struggle to get decent papers etc etc? (not to
mention exposure to aspects of the corrupt comedy of 'author
pays')

How will scholarly communication benefit from a long road
littered with discarded journals and broken links? What we've got
to some extent works, too much eagerness to change it drastically
might prove counter productive. Which is not to say that the post
modern pricing philosophies of some publishers does not deserve
to be roundly condemned, as does the madness of librarians in
paying such prices.

Bill Hughes
Multi-Science