Re: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

There are two separate themes running through this thread, and
it's useful to keep them separate. One is, How much does it cost
(or could it cost) to conduct peer review of scholarly material?
The other is, Can we replicate all the features of the
traditional publishing system in an open access environment, and
do so at lower cost?

There is no question that peer review can be conducted for
relatively low cost, whether in an OA or toll-access environment.
It can even be managed at costs far lower than even the
staunchest OA advocates maintain, once the analytic power of
industrial processes are brought to it.  That means things like
working in the Cloud, automating all the interfaces, etc.
Universities are poor places to keep costs down, as they are
typically high-cost (and high touch) environments, but there is
no inherent reason that peer review services for OA should be
managed by universities.  If Verizon can have a call center in
Bangalore, why not Duke?

The problem is that peer review has many varieties, and the work
of the established publications focuses mostly on one thing:
What do I have to do to make this a publication that people will
pay for, and once they are willing to pay for it, what value
proposition can I assert that will give me some elasticity as to
pricing?  The overall editorial program of a traditional
publication is at the service of these business objectives.

Thus traditional journals seek the most highly regarded academic
editors, who in turn seek the most highly regarded reviewers.
All this in turn leads to the development of the publication's
brand.  At some point the brand itself takes on its own
qualities.  When people say, I will pay more for an Apple
product, they are acknowledging the premium associated with the
Apple brand.  Think of such brands as Science and Lancet.  The
articles published there have a special status because of the
brand that supports them and which they in turn support.

Can OA be successful? Yep.  Is it successful today?  Somewhat.
Is it supplanting established publications?  For the most part,
no.  It's one thing to set up a competent system for publishing
something, another to create the aura of an established brand and
all that goes with it.

I think a legitimate question is, Are the established brands
continuing to produce the kind of work that made the brands
valuable in the first place?  If the answer is no, there is
trouble ahead (for them).  Another question to ask is, Are there
things in scholarly communications that the established brands
are not currently doing or may in fact have difficulty doing
because of the implications of their brands?  An example of
something that is not being done is real-time publication.  An
example of brand conflict might be (and this question can be
entertaining) having the Hopkins School of Medicine sponsor a
journal on "alternative" medicine (presumably the editor would be
based in my New Age hometown of Santa Cruz).

If the goal is to disrupt traditional publishing, the place to
look is not where the established publications are strong but
where they are absent or weak.  An open access NEJM will be hard
to pull off.

Joe Esposito