Re: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

OK - what I meant was that no publisher of large or medium-sized
biomedical journals that I know of (and that includes most larger
and medium sized not-for -profits as well as commercial
companies) use OJS and they do not figure as a serious
alternative in the main treatment of online editorial systems by
Mark Ware. I used the formulation which Professor Guedon loves
because I myself have not done the comparisons of functionality
and sustainability - which he may not have done either. What I do
know is that people responsible in publishing houses of all sorts
look into these sort of cost considerations very carefully
(because I know the people). I am also wondering whether he means
SciElLO and not SciELO: I cannot get into that site at present so
I cannot see what they actually do.

What an inaccurate statement about honoraria and "power systems".
Publishers pay sometimes honoraria because the top scholars they
want as editors can earn a lot, particularly in clinical areas,
and they (the editors) cannot afford the time involved in being a
good editor without at least some decent recompense for their
time. All decent Publishers want the best editors for the
journals they publish whoever their stakeholders and whatever
their business models.

Anthony Watkinson