RE: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

To be fair, there may be good reasons to employ grad students to
help publish journals, among them the experience that they get in
working in this environment that may help advance their own
careers later. This is also true for university presses that use
undergraduate student interns, as we do at Penn State; we
consider it part of our mission to provide such learning
experiences for students on our campus, and a number have gone on
to careers in publishing. The costs of training them are absorbed
by the Press, but they are real costs; our mission being not to
make a profit, however, but to serve scholarship and contribute
to education in other ways, we regard this as justifiable even
though not strictly the most efficient way to run a business.

Sandy Thatcher