Re: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

This topic has been talked to death on this list.  I wrote about
this several years ago in FirstMonday.org:

http://j.mp/aCVZ4s

Briefly, few peer reviewers are paid, but the management of the
system of peer review is time-consuming and costly.  If anyone
thinks they can do it for less money than the incumbents do now,
I suggest you put out a consulting shingle, because organizations
like Elsevier, Springer, AMA, ACS, etc. will pay handsomely for
anything that will reduce these expenses.

Having said this, i have no dog in this hunt.  If anyone wants to
replicate the peer review capabilities of the incumbents AND have
open access AND have lower costs, go right ahead.

Joe Esposito

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Richard Feinman <RFeinman@downstate.edu> w=
rote: