Re: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are Told

What is the relation between cost and peer review?  I thought peer
reviewers are not paid.

Richard David Feinman
Professor of Cell Biology
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
(718) 871-1374
FAX: (718) 270-3316

**********

Joseph Esposito <espositoj@gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
02/22/10 06:57 PM
Subject Re: Open Access to Research Is Inevitable, Libraries Are
Told

I have longed believed that open access to research material is
inevitable (and have posted links to that effect to this list
over the years), but the Chronicle article seems to believe that
OA will look and cost the same as the current form of digital
subscription publishing.  That seems to be unlikely.  OA, yes;
but at a higher cost OR without traditional peer review.

There is a truism in the tech industry, which is expressed this
way: "You can have it better, faster, or cheaper.  Now choose 2
out of 3."

Joe Esposito