RE: Yale outsources email to Google

Due to local and in some cases federal regulations regarding the
security of both student/personnel data and regarding certain
aspects of financial data; I cannot yet see a future where the
majority of academic research universities can be entirely in the
"clouds." Yale's move shows that certain services such as email
can be moved into the SaaS environment. Many universities are now
using Skype as a long distance provider. Neither of these
applications are considered high security risks. However, it will
be a very long time coming before student academic accounts,
employee IDs, payrolls, and all the other myriad of academic
financial services are moved into such an environment. The
threats to the big guys are always greater than the threats to
the little ones. Hackers cannot make a name for themselves by
hacking into your small company (as you yourself call it).
However, hackers can make quite a name for themselves if they
manage to disrupt payroll at MIT for instance.

It's a matter of scale and security and it's still a vast, wild,
& wooly Internet out there.

Jill Emery
Head of Acquisitions
University of Texas Libraries