RE: Sub-sidy/scription for ArXiv

... and of course that involves a couple of assumptions.
Whether or not the assumptions have been tested is another
matter.

In any case, in some versions of the new model, the
infrastructure is being supplied by lower paid, but highly
professional, highly trained staff.  So , for example, at the
University of Iowa, a model is developing where librarians and
para-professionals supply all of the support and infrastructure,
except for the editorial responsibilities.  And yes, there is
'specific training' more and more often showing up in MLIS
programs and out of school through conferences and primers (I
also know of a professor/ librarian/ editor/ publisher who has
shopped an idea to provide something like an annual workshop or
post-MLIS certificate).  As you know, this is the same model for
many commercial journals -- the commercial publisher supplies
support and infrastructure, while the editors and board are
academics.  So the difference here is that we are doing away with
the waste.

But this is exactly why I brought up the need to question
assumptions and make sometimes painful decisions.  This is also
why I acknowledged that there will plenty of people who argue
that the way it has been done is the only way it can be done.
Whenever I've changed anything at my former companies, I
encountered exactly the same line of reasoning (the cons are
counted twice and the pros barely at all, then any little thing
that is problematic is magnified a thousandfold)-- and while I
know there's a lot of value mixed in, often there is something
else.  One could easily take your version of Day's argument and
turn it on his head in consideration of all of the extra value
attained.  For the editors and board, who in many cases would
have been doing this work anyway, nothing changes, but if more
academics do get involved, they learn a lot more about scholarly
communication issues, which are vital to them, network more with
peers on a different ground, perhaps improve communication,
hopefully gain new skills (everyone should be at least web 2.0
proficient, no matter who they are), etc.  {old social networking
studies have shown that the people interacting with the most and
most different kinds of people produce the most ideas.} I have
pointed out in a separate thread that grad students stand to
benefit enormously.  So maybe we are actually paying the higher
opportunity cost with the old model?  I could go on, but I won't
belabor the point.

Also, I would just like to acknowledge that I think we do need
the wise professionals.  There's always the issue that the person
doing the job thinks they can do it better than everyone else and
their way is the only way, but sometimes, those people are right
(while somebody else really could do the job, something is lost).
Can much of their work be done by others ? How much?  I don't
want to go down this path for the purpose of this memo, but it
seems we are begging for an analysis involving a proper skills
inventory (and you'll recall I started out in the context of a
collaborative platform, but I'll leave aside the issue of
reducing redundancies by looking for efficiencies through
consolidation).  Let's just say then that we should be looking
for opportunities to hybridize (at the least).  The point is that
the innovation, which we desperately, desperately need, is
largely coming from the folks working on the new model..

-Nat