Re: Gale Buys Questia

This is a most interesting acquisition for Gale, as it provides a
springboard for their reaching further into the end-user
marketplace.  Libraries, particularly academic libraries, can't
reach the entire reader community with licensed resources.  Todd
Williams, Questia's founder, realized this (so do today's
founders of DeepDyve) and launched a service aimed at users who
were not covered - perhaps an analog to the 'uninsured' in health
care legislation?.  He was deeply committed to reaching those
individuals.

Whether the service can be sold to libraries is irrelevant here;
that hasn't been Questia's goal.  Back in the early days of
Questia, some of us librarians had the opportunity to serve for a
short time on their advisory board.  We asked whether the service
could be licensed to libraries, and the answer was "no, those are
not the terms of our arrangements with publishers."  Questia
suggesed to us that libraries or colleges/universities could pay,
if they wished, the end-user fees, and in fact for a while they
marketed such a possibility. Some institutions chose to do this,
but most did not, for various good reasons.

It would be interesting to know which libraries are still paying
for Questia end users and how well that arrangement (and the
content) has worked.  Anyone out there?

Ann Okerson/Yale University Library
ann.okerson@yale.edu