Re: Modern Language Association CFP

The day that happens will indeed be a revolution worth
celebrating. However, my skepticism is only reinforced by the new
report on faculty attitudes and values that the Center for
Studies of Higher Education at UC-Berkeley just released, among
the findings of which was this:

We found no evidence to suggest that "tech-savvy" young graduate
students, postdoctoral scholars, or assistant professors are
bucking traditional publishing practices. In fact, as arguably
the most vulnerable populations in the scholarly community, one
would expect them to hew to the norms of their chosen discipline,
and they do.

And this:

Mechanisms for judging non-text and non-traditional scholarship
(e.g., databases, cell lines, curated collections, websites,
etc.) exist in all of the academic institutions we surveyed.
Additionally, the codification of discipline-specific practices,
such as performances or architectural designs, is prevalent in
the arts and some professional schools. In most fields, however,
a stellar publication record in prestigious peer-reviewed outlets
usually counts significantly more in advancement decisions.

At some institutions, scholarly contributions such as data
curation or multimedia websites are considered to be forms of
"service" or "teaching" in a scholar's academic portfolio, or
they may receive credit when presented in a peer-reviewed
publication that "discusses" the resource or data set. Concerns
about the limitations of the current publication system have led
to growing interest in the potential of electronic publication to
extend the usefulness and depth of final publications (e.g.,
multimedia books, CDs, linked data, footnotes, embedded media,
software, etc.).

The lack of easy-to-use authoring tools, the perceived difficulty
of evaluating such publications, and the prohibitive financial
and opportunity costs to produce truly multimedia monographs all
suggest that experiments with these genres will likely be rare in
the near term. In fact, tenure and promotion committees generally
have not seen alternative genres presented in dossiers to date.

Sandy Thatcher