Email Eprint Request Button: Too good for OA's own good?

Forwarding the interesting post below from Colin Smith, who is
wondering whether the semi-automatic "email eprint request"
button

http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/274-guid.html

might tempt authors to deliberately make their deposits Closed
Access instead of Open Access so that can they get more detailed
usage metrics for their papers, for research assessment purposes!

The possibility was raised, when the button was first designed,
that authors could get addicted to the richer vanity metrics that
Closed Access plus the button provides. http://bit.ly/9ThxNu

But if you go to Colin's blog to see the responses from IR
managers that have since implemented the button, you will find
that that is not what tends to happen. Rather, authors tire of
vanity metrics after a while and instead prefer sparing
themselves those extra keystrokes by re-setting their papers as
Open Access.

It might, though, be useful to implement a "button" for Open
Access papers too, allowing users to identify themselves and
their interests to the author, if they wish... -- SH