Re: Amazon Pulls Macmillan Books Over E-Book Price Disagreement

Amazon has already capitulated.  They posted a notice on their
Web site, asserting that Macmillan thinks ebooks should not be
inexpensive.  The "word" capitulate was used in the statement.

Amazon's statement is inflammatory.  No good will here.

I anticipate the following among the trade publishers, with
academic publishers following close behind:

*Publishers will move to the so-called "agency" model, which is
what Apple is using, in which the publisher, not the retailer,
sets the price of the book

*Ebooks will continue to cost less than print, undermining
physical bookstores

*The launch of Google Editions this spring will cause everybody
to recalibrate the marketplace

*It looks like a 3-horse race for ebooks:  Amazon, Apple, and
Google. I had thought that Barnes & Noble would be able to stake
out a position, but now I am increasingly doubtful

*Decline and fall of the PDF

*Google's strategy is the most disruptive:  books read through a
browser; no copying permitted; no "ownership"; all data stored at
Google.  To quote my late Dad:  Yowza.

Joe Esposito