Re: Modern Language Association CFP

What on earth is the subtitle of this session supposed to mean?
The premise of the session seems flawed to begin with: despite
all the technological innovation we have witnessed, the actual
forms of the journal and the monograph have changed very little.
Most journals still package articles into issues and number
groups of issues by an annual volume; the vast majority of
monographs produced, whether in electronic format or print, still
resemble the books we all grew up with. The experiments to try
out different forms of publication, like Gutenberg-e, have
largely failed, in part because promotion and tenure practices
have not changed at all.  E-textbooks have yet to catch on in the
college market, despite the efforts of CourseSmart and other
publishing enterprises. Where is this "revolution" in scholarly
communication?  Many of us are still waiting for it to happen....

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press