From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Chen, Xiaotian
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:29 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Licenses that forbid ILL (was Re: Roundtable Press Release)

Requiring "that the lending library print out a copy of the
article and use that to initiate the loan" was more common in the
past than present, even though it is still pretty common.  I am
wondering why the library community in general still can live
with this requirement that was written in the 1990s.

Can we save some time and trees by getting rid of this 1990s
"printing out" requirement?

CARLI, the academic library consortium in my state of Illinois,
seems to be doing just that with all publishers.  See P. 3 for
Interlibrary Loan at

http://www.carli.illinois.edu/reports/board/LicensingPrinciples.pdf.

Xiaotian Chen
Electronic Services Librarian