RE: Sub-sidy/cription for ArXiv

Thank you for your comments.  I suppose I could quibble here or
there, but that could lead to an endless back and forth (such as
about whether cancelled journal content remains available -- this
will depend on the license, but for direct subs, old content
should remain available in most cases, so they can indeed be
cancelled if new content becomes available from another source on
a going-forward basis -- now whether or not a publisher remains
true to their word, even after, say, transferring a title to
another publisher -- well , that's another matter and a good
argument for your case about the content // another argument for
your case is that many smaller schools don't have direct subs or
have not purchased back-content).

I do see that we are largely talking past each other.  Since I
studied under a journal editor, I can't conceive of peer review
per se costing billions when peer review itself is 'free' and can
be managed with little overhead and relatively few salaries (if
that), since many editors working for a nominal fee or nothing
will manage the open source software managing peer review, or
they will be helped by grad students or others to do same.  I'm
aware that there are all kinds of ways to make publishing
expensive, though. Also, since my background is largely in
entrepreneurial organizations, I think my tendency is to see
opportunities, and to take with a grain of salt any argument to
the effect that the way it has been done is the way it must be
done (it may very well be true, but let's take a look around and
see what might be possible...).  In any case, I'm more stuck on
the actual services paid for.  I guess my best awkward metaphor
is that we are building the car, sending it out for a paint job
(and the painters are also from the university, though probably
the managers aren't), and then we are buying it back at a
premium.

The publishing value chain is central to the future I envisioned
in my previous memo -- and as I said, I think the value chain can
be provided more efficiently and it can be made better, both to
fix weaknesses (peer review as it is now: both in terms of
quality and as a service upon which to justify fees) and to offer
more (such as better metadata -- which I think I value more
highly than you, since it is central to discovery and more
complicated than adding some subject tags), but I'll freely admit
my line was science fiction, about a future that can be reached,
and likely will in some ways be reached since it is based on
current trends and practices.  You are talking about arXiv as you
see it now, but I was talking about what could be two or three
steps past the "synergies" (forgive me) that could result from a
collaboration supporting arXiv, depending on the direction of
'enhancements.' This is also why my discussion was expansive and
speculative, including non arXiv subject areas and monographs.

One monstrous megajournal does indeed sound scary.  I was
thinking more along the lines of mega platforms, not one big gray
box for content.  One of the problems I mentioned a couple of
times is that universities are paying redundant overhead for
every publisher paying for its own silo of systems and staff.
To some extent, some OA journal publishers are consolidated for
efficiency already, sharing infrastructure, although they are
separately run by autonomous editors of individual titles, but
such collaboration is ad hoc.  Likewise, you'll notice that the
big commercial publishers publish separate titles that have
separate identities within the same fields.  The point is that
overhead can be shared more massively and more purposively while
title identity, editing, and governance could remain
decentralized, though this particular scenario looks less like
the arXiv that started the conversation.

Consortial/ cooperative systems exist in part so that the big
universities can help the little guys.  If our basic assumption
is that each institution is effectively on its own, I'd be
worried about possible consequences to smaller institutions,
especially given that central indexing as we know it now doesn't
work perfectly (or even all that well - Google Scholar) -- but
here again is why I'd want an improved value chain involving
metadata and preservation that could result from better
collaboration (and preservation, or the infrastructure and shared
standards to support ongoing access, do matter: so that centrally
indexed resources are not lost if individual institutions can't
keep their IRs on).  Also, a distributed network of local IRs
actually pushes up the price-tag of the whole system (overhead
again), while other kinds of central systems are still needed
(your indexers and harvesters, which may also, if commercial,
exploit their dominance at some point).  On the other hand, many,
many institutions do seem to have the money to support their own
IRs at this moment, and local IRs can be implemented relatively
cheaply...

The other issue, where we clearly see different futures, is that
the cost of subs for current content might actually be pressured
up in the cases where publishers lose the revenue they've made
for providing ongoing access to back-content.  Or, in other
words, universities probably end up with the same subscription
budget-woes, but then they will also need to increase their IR
support budgets (since, presumably, the IRs begin to be used and
this has some effect on the expense of supporting the IR).  I see
no reason at all to believe publishers will re-size fees under
the scenario you provide, precisely because it is not just about
content - it is about the other services in the value chain
(specifically quality control and career effect due to title
reputation, upon which those publishers that do profiteer can
continue to profiteer).  {Of course, I'm presuming here that we
might see mandates resulting in shortened embargos, but that
embargos will remain.  I think your point has much more force if
all content is mandated to become immediately available, but now
I think we're really talking about Spanish castles in the air ...
although, if immediate deposit mandates did become a reality and
the scenario played out as you picture it, my guess is that we'd
end up needing to build the peer review service providers you
mention since I don't believe any organization could re-size to
that extent without going under -- and we'd be better starting
over again anyway, probably collaboratively, and we'd want to
think about adding more value to the chain ... this sounds
familiar.}

At the end of the day, though, I do think we're in different
forests, which is why I didn't take the tree by tree approach.
I don't see our thoughts as mutually exclusive, although I
understand you're concerned that other approaches will delay
progress on the approach you think will succeed best. I do hope
that mandates have all of the good consequences you envision.  I
think it's clear that more mandates are coming, at least for back
content, so that's good.  More universal availability of back
content will certainly give universities more wiggle room to
build the future (since more options on a going-forward basis
become more practical).

-Nat