RE: Sub-sidy/cription for ArXiv: Collaborative Business Model Changes Funding Structure

I don't expect local repositories to ever offer quality control.
Also, users have said again and again that they prefer discovery
by subject, which will be possible for semantic docs in local
repositories or better indexes (probably built through better
collaborations), but not now.  I agree that it would be great if
local repositories were more used, and eventually, the systems
will be in place to make it possible, but every study I've seen
still shows local repository use to remain disappointingly low,
although some universities are doing better than others.
Inter-institutional repositories by subject area (however broadly
defined) simply work better, such as arXiv or even the
Princeton-Stanford repository for working papers in the classics.

Currently, universities are paying external middlemen an outsized
fee for validation and packaging services.  These services can
and should be brought "in-house" (at least as an ideal/ goal to
develop toward whenever the opportunities can be seized) except
in cases where prices align with value, which occurs still with
some society and commercial publications.  To the extent that an
arXiv or the inter-institutional repository for humanities
research which will be showing up in 3-7 years moves toward
offering these services, they are clearly preferable to old
fashioned subscription models (since the financial support is for
actual services) and current local repositories which do not
offer everything needed in the value chain (as listed in Van de
Sompel et al. 2004).  I remember when I first read an article
quoting a researcher in an arXiv covered field who essentially
said that journals in his field were just for vanity and
advancement, since all the "action" was in arXiv (Ober et al.
2007 quoting Manuel 2001 quoting McGinty 1999) -- now think about
the value of a repository that doesn't just store content and
offer access.

Do I think the financial backing will remain in place?  It
depends on the services actually offered and to what extent
subject repositories could replace a patchwork system of single
titles offered by a patchwork of publishers.  Universities could
save a great deal by refusing to pay the same overhead over and
over again to maintain complete collections in single subject
areas (not to mention paying for other people's profits).  More
importantly, more could be done to make articles useful and
discoverable in a collaborative environment, from metadata to
preservation, so that the value chain is extended and improved
(my sci-fi includes semantic docs, not just cataloged texts, and
improved, or multi-stage, peer review, or peer review on top of a
working papers repository).  I think there's been plenty of
'chatter' to indicate that the basic assumptions in conversations
between universities are changing (see recent conference
agendas), so that we can expect to see more and more practical
plans to collaborate on metadata, preservation, and , yes,
publications.  My head spins to think of the amount of money to
be saved on the development of more shared platforms, although,
the money will only be saved if other expenditures are slowly
turned off.

Sandy mentioned in another post that she would hope for arXiv
like support for university monographs.  I think this is coming
too (I'm an optimist) given discussions toward a shared access
platform, shared discovery services, and so on.  She also
mentioned a talk by Patrick Alexander where he mentioned that
every monograph published includes over $5000 in just overhead.
Clearly, a lot of this overhead (for both monographs and
journals) can be saved with a properly implemented collaboration,
but the world will need to change for lots of people, and not
necessarily in good ways (for them)... but that's a whole other
bag of beans.

Open access and NFP publications which do offer the full value
chain have been proven to have much lower production costs per
page than FP publishers and they do not suffer any impact
disadvantages -- and these are still operated on a largely
stand-alone basis, without the advantages that can be gained by
sharing overhead.

We do need to move toward something more sustainable.  I think,
ultimately, yes we can rely on universities to keep supporting
scholarly communications. That's what they do.  But I don't think
it is realistic to continue relying on or propping up our
mid-twentieth century models.  We do need more efficient systems.
Maybe local repositories really are the way to go, since then
each institution has more control over its own contribution, but
the collaboration and the support will still need to occur to
support discovery (implying metadata, both in production and
development of standards and tools) and preservation.  I suppose
another problem with local repositories, however, is that a
consensus is far less likely to unite around local repositories
as a practical option at this juncture -- the case can't just be
made with words, you need the numbers and arXiv has them -- and
while I am interested to see strong local repositories emerge,
there is greater sense in supporting what can be achieved, since
we need more steps in the right direction.

-Nat