Licenses that forbid ILL (was Re: Roundtable Press Release)

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, T Scott Plutchak wrote:

"In my experience there are very few licenses that flat out
prevent interlibrary loan. In most cases, publishers require that
the lending library print out a copy of the article and use that
to initiate the loan, rather than sending the pdf directly.
Personally, I think this is an unnecessary inconvenience, but
we're still able to make the loan."

***

In U-Minnesota's experience, ILL restrictions still have to be
addressed in most of the generic licenses we receive. Many seem
to use the John Cox academic library license template, and either
change the "ILL allowed" clause to say "not allowed" or delete it
altogether. While many of the big publishers like Elsevier /
Springer / Wiley do allow ILL in their generic licenses, many of
the society publishers do not. Below are the publishers that
would not agree when we asked them for the usual "make a printout
and fax it" ILL right (and these don't even count the publishers
who would not have granted it, had we not asked in negotiation).
How can any of us reasonably cancel print titles from these
publishers, if we hope to have electronic ILL access to them in
the future?

     * Academy of Political Science
     * Adenine Press
     * American Association of Immunologists
     * American Association of Physics Teachers
     * American Society for Bone & Mineral Research
     * American Society of Civil Engineers
     * American Society of Mechanical Engineers
     * American Vacuum Society
     * Annee Philologique
     * Atypon
     * Canadian Institute of Forestry
     * Civic Research Institute
     * DigiZeitschriften
     * Ecological Society of America
     * Elsevier (FDC Reports)
     * Institute of Mathematics of the Polish Academy of Sciences
     * Materials Research Society
     * National Association of Social Workers
     * National Research Council of Canada
     * Ovid
     * White Horse Press

Further, Lynn Wiley's 2003 survey of ILL offices in the CIC and
their e-resource licenses found that most CIC member libraries
encountered cases when =93ILL was prohibited entirely [and] when
the delivery mechanism was restricted, such as in electronic
delivery=94 (=93License to Deny? Publisher restrictions on document
delivery from e-licensed journals,=94 /Interlending & Document
Supply/ 32 no. 2 (2004): 95-6). Evidently not much has changed in
seven years.

Jim Stemper