Re: Cornell University Library Engages More Institutions in Supporting arXiv

It would be nice if universities felt the same sense of shared
ownership and responsibility for our country's system of
university presses.  Back in 1979 The Report of the National
Enquiry into Scholarly Communication made this recommendation, as
one of 12 principal recommendations:

"Recommendation Eight: To broaden support for scholarly
publishing, we recommend that universities without presses become
active participants in the publishing process as sponsors of work
produced on their campuses."

Among a number of ways suggested were title subsidies for the
university's faculty publications, sponsorship of a monograph
series, and participation in a consortium of presses (like the
University Press of New England).

"The purpose of this recommendation is to encourage universities
and colleges to consider the full range of alternatives whereby
they can join in the communication of scholarly knowledge and
help strengthen the financial underpinnings of scholarly
publishing."

I might add that if there is ever to be any hope for OA
succeeding in monograph publishing, just such broader cooperation
across all universities will be essential.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
Executive Editor for Social Sciences and Humanities

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)