From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Sandy Thatcher
Sent: 21 January 2010 01:05
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

The key question, for me, is what "use" here means. If it means
just consulting a draft version for the ideas and information it
conveys in a general way, I'm sure that is no different from what
has been going on forever in the world of scholarship. If it
means citing the draft version in your own published article,
then I'd say there is ground for concern. Proliferation of
citations to drafts cannot be good for scholarship. This is not
to say it doesn't, or never should, happen: one may think, for
instance, of references to a paper delivered at an academic
conference, which is usually not a peer-reviewed version. But the
more that Green OA encourages people to be lazy and cite drafts
instead of versions of record, the more scholarship will suffer.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press