RE: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

A.  It would seem to me that the publishers themselves are
muddying the water about VOR.  They often do articles "epub ahead
of print".  Which citation should be the VOR ? Additionally, all
of the online vendors and publishers reserve the right to make
changes to the online content.  Which means that the VOR (if it
is the online version) is subject to changes at the publisher's
discretion.  Not exactly a good criteria for VOR.

B.  On the topic of researchers not being able to afford access
to articles, two points come to my mind.

1.If a particular article is known, how often is it unavailable
through Inter-Library Loan ? ILL is very quick these days and
much less expensive than an entire journal subscription.

2.The idea that an institution can afford to have expensive
journal subscriptions in its collection is part of what makes for
healthy institutional competition. No ?  It has always been a
source of pride for various institutions to "invest" in their
collection and use it as a selling point for recruitment of
talent.  Institutions with less resources still have access to
ILL services.

Todd Puccio
Director of Technical Services / Librarian
Nova Southeastern University
Health Professions Division Library
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33328
puccio@nsu.nova.edu