UKSG/NISO release KBART Recommended Practice for exchanging data with knowledge bases

Dear all,

I am delighted to be announcing the release of the KBART Phase I
Recommended Practice, which consists of best practice guidelines
and supporting information to help publishers, libraries and
knowledge base developers exchange e-content holdings information
more effectively - this should lead to reduced user frustration,
reduced administrative burden for libraries, and more traffic to
publisher websites.

There is more information and an HTML version of the recommended
practice at http://www.uksg.org/kbart/s1/summary. You can also
download the PDF version of the report here. The press release
announcing the launch of the Recommended Practice is copied
below.

We hope that the guidelines we have developed are useful and
represent a strong foundation for the group's future work;
certainly our testing process underlined the value of guidance in
this area. If you'd like any more information about the project,
the Recommended Practice, or the activities of UKSG and NISO,
please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks, all the best,

Charlie Rapple (KBART Phase I UKSG co-chair -
charlie.rapple@tbicommunications.com)

Peter McCracken (KBART Phase I NISO co-chair -
petersersol@yahoo.com)

Sarah Pearson (KBART Phase II UKSG co-chair -
S.Pearson.1@bham.ac.uk)

  ___________________

*UKSG and NISO Release First KBART Recommendations for Improved
OpenURL Data Supply*

January 18, 2010 - Baltimore, MD and Newbury, UK - UKSG and NISO
are pleased to announce the first report by the KBART (Knowledge
Bases And Related Tools) Working Group, a joint initiative that
is exploring data problems within the OpenURL supply chain. The
KBART Recommended Practice (NISO RP-9-2010) contains practical
recommendations for the timely exchange of accurate metadata
between content providers and knowledge base developers.

The KBART Recommended Practice, a report from Phase I of the
KBART project, provides all parties in the information supply
chain with straightforward guidance about the role of metadata
within the OpenURL linking standard, and recommends data
formatting and exchange guidelines for publishers, aggregators,
agents, technology vendors, and librarians to adhere to when
exchanging information about their respective content holdings.

"Six years after NISO's ratification of the OpenURL standard
(ANSI/NISO Z39.88-2004), many stakeholders in the information
supply chain still have a limited understanding of how best to
share data to maximize the value of OpenURL linking," says Peter
McCracken, NISO co-chair of the KBART Working Group (Phase I).
UKSG's co-chair (Phase I), Charlie Rapple of TBI Communications,
adds, "It was important for us to get back to basics and provide
step-by-step guidance to address some of the fundamental problems
that were occurring. With their track records for practical
leadership and their reach across the extended information
community, UKSG and NISO have been ideal project sponsors."

Sarah Pearson, E-Resources & Serials Coordinator at the
University of Birmingham, is taking on the role of UKSG co-chair
for KBART's Phase II. "As a librarian who has struggled with poor
quality, outdated holdings data and the frustration this causes
our users, I'm pleased to see some really practical guidance
being made available. I hope to see widespread adoption of
KBART's recommendations as they will lead to more reliable access
for users, increased traffic for publishers, easier data
management for vendors and reduced administration for
librarians."

The KBART Working Group will shortly embark on the project's
Phase II, which will build on the foundation phase to address
more complex data issues, including different types of content,
emerging business models, and customized licensing. The UKSG
Committee and the NISO Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee are
in the final stages of approval.

For more information, to review the KBART Recommended Practice,
or to find out how to get involved in future phases of KBART's
work, please visit www.uksg.org/kbart or
www.niso.org/workrooms/kbart.

*About KBART*

KBART (Knowledge Bases And Related Tools) was set up following
the 2007 publication of the UKSG research report "Link Resolvers
and the Serials Supply Chain". Central to the efficient operation
of the OpenURL is the knowledge base, which consists of data
supplied by content providers including publishers. The report
found that a lack of awareness of the OpenURLs capabilities and
requirements is impacting the quality and timeliness of data
provided to populate knowledge bases, and thus undermining the
potential of the sophisticated OpenURL technology. UKSG partnered
with NISO to commission the KBART Working Group to develop
guidelines for best practice and provide educational materials.
The core NISO/UKSG Working Group consists of representatives from
libraries, knowledge base developers, publishers, intermediaries
and other content providers, and is supported by a monitoring
group of interested parties. Its Phase I report (KBART
Recommended Practice (NISO RP-9-2010) and guide lines have been
widely reviewed and tested by a wider group of information supply
chain stakeholders. For more information, visitwww.uksg.org/kbart
or www.niso.org/workrooms/kbart.

*About NISO*

NISO fosters the development and maintenance of standards that
facilitate the creation, persistent management, and effective
interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in
research and learning. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages
libraries, publishers, information aggregators, and other
organizations that support learning, research, and scholarship
through the creation, organization, management, and curation of
knowledge. NISO works with intersecting communities of interest
and across the entire lifecycle of an information standard. NISO
is a not-for-profit association accredited by the American
National Standards Institute (ANSI). More information about NISO
is available on its website: www.niso.org. For more information
please contact NISO on (301) 654-2512 or via email on
nisohq@niso.org.

*About UKSG*

UKSG exists to connect the information community and encourage
the exchange of ideas on scholarly communication. It spans the
wide range of interests and activities of the extended scholarly
information community of librarians, publishers, intermediaries
and technology vendors. In a dynamic environment, UKSG works to:

*facilitate community integration, networking, discussion and
exchange of ideas

*improve members' knowledge of the scholarly information sector
and support skills development

*stimulate research and collaborative initiatives, encourage
innovation and promote standards for good practice

*disseminate news, information and publications, and raise
awareness of services that support the scholarly information
sector. For more information, please visit the UKSG website,
www.uksg.org.

*For more information, please contact:*

Karen Wetzel, NISO Standards Program Manager, kwetzel@niso.org

Tracy Garden, UKSG Marketing Associate, tracy@tgm.ox14.com