Re: ACLS Humanities e-books

Just by way of clarification, I know that the ACLS Humanities
Book project has found a way to sustain itself, but the original
vision was to make the publication of the new type of monograph
that Darnton envisioned the primary driver and selling point for
the whole database. This was to be the place that senior
historians published their multi-dimensional documents, just as
Gutenberg-e was meant to be for junior scholars. Instead, what
happened is that the numbers of new documents, as with
Gutenberg-e, proved insufficient to attract many licenses, and it
was only with the addition of a large amount of digitized older
titles that the package won enough subscriptions to make the
whole enterprise sustainable.  The bottom line, for both
projects, as predicted by the advisory committee, was that the
creation of the new documents themselves could not make these
projects work in the long term. Now, of course, the ACLS project
wants to increase its salability further by becoming a platform
for a large number of new monographs from multiple university
presses and societies; but these are NOT the types of books that
Darnton had in mind in starting the project in the first place.
The challenge remains very real about how to make the publication
of books that truly take full advantage of the technological
possibilities economically feasible.

Sandy Thatcher