Re: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

Any change in policy will affect someone or something.  I find it
curious that there is little attention being paid to the
implications of the embargo.  The assumption is that the
economics of the "system" can be maintained provided that
everybody agrees to protect the revenues of current issues.  If
all publishers were current issues publishers, and if all revenue
derived from journals were for current issues, then this might
seem like a matter of no importance.  But I suggest that
librarians look around to see if they are indeed paying money for
materials that are not current issues.  What will happen to those
materials and the services that deliver them?

This is catch-and-release publishing:  invest in a product, but
then return it to the wild.  It is humane, but ultimately
unsustainable, and, of course, that which is unsustainable cannot
be sustained.

In a separate post, Sandy Thatcher comments that the implications
for monographs has not yet been taken up.  Typically, monograph
publishers earn 55-60% of their revenue from their backlists.  A
catch-and-release policy will literally stop the entire monograph
industry in its tracks.  Presumably humanities faculty need not
publish a book any more in order to receive tenure and promotion.

Joe Esposito