Re: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

The "version of record" (the publisher's proprietary draft) may
well be what librarians prefer, and are willing to wait out an
embargo for; it is no doubt also the version publishers prefer we
all wait for.

But I hope it will be understood that the researchers whose
institutions cannot afford access to the version of record would
prefer not to wait, and would be perfectly happy with the
author's final, peer-reviewed, accepted draft (postprint) during
any publisher embargo period, rather than no access at all.
Authors too -- if they think it through (many still don't) --
would prefer that would-be users had access to their refereed
final drafts rather than no access at all during any publisher
embargo period. And so would their institutions and funders.
Which is why an increasing number of institutions and funders are
mandating immediate deposit of the final draft, rather than
waiting for the version of record.

Prominently missing or minimal about this Roundtable of
publishers and librarians were those who represent and understand
the needs of active, access-denied researchers (or the funders
and institutions of the authors of the works to which they are
denied access).

Holding out for the version of record is for pedants and
preservationists. What research, researchers, their institutions
and their funders, students, teachers and the general public need
now is access to the refereed research itself, immediately upon
acceptance for publication, free for all, and not accessible only
to those whose institutions can afford the subscription. If
there's any point in publishing the findings at all once they are
refereed, revised and accepted, then there's the same point in
making them freely accessible to all would-users as soon as they
are accepted, no later.

Meanwhile, the version of record can wait, and be waited for.

Stevan Harnad