Re: In praise of reckless enthusiasm

I think good examples of "reckless enthusiasm" were the ACLS
History (now Humanities) E-Book and Gutenberg-e projects that
sprang from the fertile imagination of Robert Darnton, famous
book historian, former Princeton history professor, and now
Harvard librarian. While some of us on the advisory committee for
these projects (like me and Ann Okerson) advised Bob that they
likely would prove to be unsustainable economically beyond the
term of the Mellon Foundation grants that gave birth to them, I
think we are all glad they happened anyway because we have
learned a great deal from them in their semi-failure. (I say
"semi" because they both live on in attenuated form.)

I would add that, for university press publishing in particular,
where capital is in very short supply for experimentation, it
behooves most presses not to be the pioneers but to let the
larger presses that can afford to do so, backed by foundation
grants if need be, forge ahead with "reckless enthusiasm" and try
out new things, which the smaller presses can then adopt, or not,
once the concept has been proven and the bugs worked out.  Among
such projects in the past couple of decades I would place in this
category are the National Academies Press experiment with "open
access" monograph publishing (which Michigan and Penn State are
applying to humanities publishing), Project Muse at Johns
Hopkins, and Chicago's launch of the BiblioVault (the last two
also supported by Mellon).

So I'm all for "reckless enthusiasm" just so long as you have the
capital needed to take risks and still survive if you fail!

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
Executive Editor for Social Sciences and Humanities

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)