Re: Essay on article metrics

Don't be confused, David.

I read Phil's comment, and the series of comments he has made on
this list and at Scholarly Kitchen, as a sustained critique of
metrics madness.  He continually points out the limitations of
the methodologies being used.  I have not spoken to Phil about
whether or not he believes there are valid metrics beyond a
certain threshold.  I doubt that there are, but Phil may disagree
with me.  (I do believe in the utility of quantification for some
things up to a certain point.)

Professor Harnad, on the other hand, clearly disagrees with me.
That is his prerogative.

I clearly stated that my comment applies equally to toll-access
and open access publications.

There is at least one metric that seems highly credible to me:
what people are willing to pay for with their own money.  This
includes individual subscriptions for journals and service fees
for open access publishers such as Hindawi, BMC, and PLOS.

Joe Esposito