RE: "Digital Industrial Complex"

>From personal tests, it seems like only about 1 in 4 academic
PDFs are tagged correctly to re-flow well.  Might just be my
sample, but the library industry platforms seem to provide the
best material - a recent OCLC publication in PDF flowed
perfectly.  My impression is that Adobe is working on PDF --
we'll see how well they can adapt PDF, and if publishers do the
work to make sure PDFs flow correctly, before another format
challenges the universality of PDF.  The library listservs
(NGC4LIB, LIS-E-RESOURCES, ERIL) tend to include discussions of
mobile device related access issues in more depth if anyone is
interested.

I started reading a Springer eBook recently in PDF and it flows
perfectly, so there's one commercial publisher doing the work to
make PDF work well. It would be interesting to know why they
don't offer the content in EPUB or something else?  Can it be
less expensive to add the tags to PDF than to convert the content
to a separate format entirely?  Many of the EPUBS from Google
Books I've seen are worse than the plain old PDFs they offer in
terms of readability (because they seem to have relied on
un-reviewed OCR to convert the text), although the EPUBS use less
memory and the pages turn more quickly.

Seems like journal and book publishing are on different paths.
University publishers of books have several cooperative
initiatives cooking and I wouldn't be surprised to see academic
books move to a massive shared platform.  Perhaps a side benefit
will be the adoption of a universal format supported for ongoing
development -- would be nice if something was both open and
adapted to academic needs, which tend to be much greater than
consumer needs (thus, for example, the massive, ongoing
investments universities make in metadata creation ... leads back
to why a semantic format like DocBook, adapted also to
presentation or quickly convertible, must be the future).  I
don't follow the news on university ebook publishing closely
enough, but maybe will start now.  Journal publication seems to
be a patchwork without a trend.