Re: "Digital Industrial Complex"

True, but then the entire structure of the standard academic
article is somewhat archaic - providing a one-level discussion of
the topic (IMRAD format), with - if the user is lucky - a
background data set or perhaps an additional interactive image.

XML is a great format for multiple re-purposing, but it is also
(relatively)expensive to create (both from new and from old
content), and prone to inaccurate tagging (just because it parses
doesn't mean that the items are correctly tagged - e.g. names
where there are confusions over family and personal names).

I wonder if developments in the ability to scour PDF (or other
display-type formats) to identify relevant data will raise the
relevance of such formats and decrease the need for
expensive-to-create-and-update formats such as XML ? I'd be
interested to hear the views of people more involved than I in
the technical development area. Pippa

*****
Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
email: pippa.smart@gmail.com
Web: www.pspconsulting.org